Sudden Blurry Vision in One Eye : Causes and Treatment
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
Problems related to eye vision are frequently observed now-a-days. Usually getting a sudden blurry vison in eyes is a common symptom of mind stress. But, it can be serious at times, specially when blurry vision is observed only in one eye. It should be treated by a certified physician as soon as possible. Here are the major causes and treatment for sudden blurry vision in one eye.
Although sudden blurry vision in one eye is mostly due to mental stress, depression or refractive errors. In some cases, it can be a sign of a serious health problem in your body like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus etc..
In adults it can also be due to some eye problems like glaucoma, cataract, diabetic retinopathy etc.. These problems are generally noticed in old-aged people. Most of these problems can be cured with proper treatment.
Causes of sudden blurry vision in one eye
There are various reasons one could get a blurry vision in a single eye. Here are some reasons mentioned below.
- Refractive errors (myopia or hypermetropia)
- Mental stress and depression
- Vitamin deficiency
- eye problems like glaucoma, cataract and diabetic retinopathy etc. in adults.
- Some health problems like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis etc.
Refractive errors are most common cause for this problem. In children and teenagers short-sightedness is observed that causes distant objects to appear blurred, while close objects can be seen clearly. In adults long-sightedness is observed that causes close objects to appear blurred, while closed objects can be seen clearly.
Mental stress and depression are also common causes for this problem. It is commonly observed in teenagers and people who are working in stressful conditions. It is not a major problem as it is not a permanent condition, but should be treated by a practitioner.
Vitamin deficiency can also be a reason for blurry vision in one eye. To see the full spectrum of light, your eye needs to produce certain pigments for your retina to work properly. Vitamin A deficiency stops the production of these pigments, leading to blurry vision and night blindness.
Eye problems like glaucoma, cataract and diabetic retinopathy etc. can be a reason for blurry eye in adults and old age people. It is very normal to notice changes in your vision as you grow older. Most of these are permanent changes but, conditions like cataract can be cured with a surgery while some are treatable, but cannot be cured.
In rare conditions some health problems like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis etc. can be a reason for blurry vision in one eye. These problems need your immediate attention and should not be avoided.
Treatment for sudden blurry vision in one eye
There are several causes for sudden blurry vision in one eye. Some of the treatments for each cause are mentioned below.
Refractive errors can only be cured with laser surgery. Most people treat refractive errors using spectacles with a specific focal length of lenses, but sometimes power fluctuates frequently resulting in variable focal length. because of this, we may need to change lenses more often.
Mental stress and depression can be improved using yoga and exercises. There are specific type of exercises that are very useful to maintain stress levels. Check out the exercises for anxiety, stress and depression. Yoga is very effective for stress management. but, yoga can be very beneficial if done correctly with correct equipment. Click here to learn about the best equipment for effective yoga. Listening to music can also reduce stress levels. Here are some facts about listening music while sleeping.
Vitamin deficiency can be cured with medication in initial stages. Once eyes are very effected by night blindness, it may be difficult to cure it permanently. It is recommended to eat foods with rich vitamin content especially vitamin A for people who are suffering with blurry sight.
Most of the problems like glaucoma, cataract and diabetic retinopathy cannot be cured permanently, but treatable with medication and surgery. Cataract in initial stages can be cured using a laser surgery.
Health conditions like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis can only be diagnosed by certified medical practitioner after several tests and examination. Most of these can be treated and only a few can be cured permanently. So, along with a blurry eye if these are any other symptoms like chest pain, body pains, weakness consulting a doctor immediately is the right choice to make.
Multiple sclerosis can cause Optic neuritis which is a serious neurological problem. It is inflammation of the optic nerve that causes blurred, grey and dim vision. If you have any of these symptoms contact your eye care physician immediately. You can learn more about Optic neuritis in this article.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory disease in which your immune system attacks healthy parts of your body by mistake. More rarely, rheumatoid arthritis can cause inflammation in the white part (sclera) of your eyes, which can result in redness and pain. You can learn more about rheumatoid arthritis in this article.
Tips and Support
- Maintain a healthy diet : Eating food containing required amount of vitamins, nutrients and minerals is very crucial for a healthy eye sight. Your diet impacts your physical and mental capabilities which can prevent from getting an eye disorder.
- Stay hydrated : Drinking enough water is important to keep your eyes and body hydrated. Otherwise, eyes become dry and can cause discomfort and affect your vision and overall eye health.
- Get a good night sleep : A good night sleep is very essential for healthy eye sight. If you don’t get adequate sleep if stresses your body which may effect iris contraction. It may results in refractive errors and other eye problems. People suffering with sleep apnea should also be careful about their condition. You can learn more about sleep apnea here.
- Decrease your screen time : Quit all the screens 2 hours before you sleep. Usually experts say 20-20-20 rule is very effective for people who work a lot on screen. It says that “for every 20 minutes of your screen time, take a 20 second break and look at any object that is 20 feet away from you”.
- Use adequate lighting : It is good to maintain proper lighting while work or studies. Otherwise your eyes might lose capability to take adequate light to see things which leads to partial blindness. Therefore, lighting is very important. Working in dim lighting may leads to several eye conditions.
- Avoid rubbing your eye : Rubbing your eyes can irritate them and increase the risk of causing eye infection. If your eyes feel itchy or irritated, try using artificial tears or consult an eye care professional.
- Quit Smoking : Smoking can increase the rick of causing eye conditions cataracts and age-related macular degenerations (AMD). If somebody is smoking , help them to quit. If your are smoking, there is nothing wrong in seeking some help.
- Wear Sunglasses in direct sun light : If exposed to direct sun light, use sunglasses to avoid harmful UV radiations to increase the risk of developing cataracts and other eye conditions.
- Have your eyes checked up regularly : Even if you currently have any vison problems, consulting an ophthalmologist once very 4-5 months won’t do any bad for anyone. If any irregularities were to found during examination, it can be cured in initial stages.
- Be aware of Family eye History : Know if there are any hereditary eye conditions that run in your family. Consult a doctor and discuss them during your eye exams.
In conclusion, sudden blurry vision in one eye can be a concerning symptom that should not be ignored. While it can sometimes be attributed to mental stress or refractive errors, it can also be a sign of serious underlying health issues. Seeking timely medical attention is crucial to identify the cause and receive appropriate treatment.
Refractive errors can be managed with corrective lenses or laser surgery, while mental stress and depression can be addressed through stress-reducing techniques like yoga and exercise. Vitamin deficiencies can be treated with appropriate medication and a diet rich in essential nutrients.
For eye problems like glaucoma, cataract, and diabetic retinopathy, early detection and treatment can help manage the condition and prevent further vision loss. However, some eye conditions may have permanent effects, underscoring the importance of regular eye check-ups.
In cases where blurry vision is accompanied by other symptoms, it may be a sign of serious health conditions like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, or psoriasis. Consulting a certified medical practitioner for proper diagnosis and treatment is essential.
To support eye health and prevent vision problems, maintaining a healthy diet, staying hydrated, and getting enough sleep are crucial. Reducing screen time, using adequate lighting, and avoiding eye rubbing can also contribute to maintaining good eye health. Wearing sunglasses in direct sunlight and quitting smoking are essential steps to protect the eyes from harmful factors.
Regular eye check-ups, being aware of family eye history, and seeking medical attention for any irregularities are proactive measures to safeguard eye health. Overall, taking care of our eyes is essential for a better quality of life and long-lasting vision.